Sunday, November 4, 2007

Marriage and a Cup of Tea

Monica’s Bridal Shower Tea Party was at Suzette's Creperie in Wheaton. Part of my responsibility at the shower was to do the devotional. I did some word associations for a cup of tea and then applied them to marriage. I put these ten words in a cup and had Monica draw out one word at a time and then I spoke a bit and related it to marriage. I also used a few quotes that seemed appropriate. This is my outline for the devotional.

Celebration (A tea party is a celebration and a wedding is a celebration.)
Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory! For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready. Revelation 19:7

Conversation (Communication is important in marriage.)
Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone. Colossians 4:6

Somehow, taking tea together encourages an atmosphere of intimacy when you slip off the timepiece in your mind and cast your fate to a delight of tasty tea, tiny foods, and thoughtful conversation. ‑ Gail Greco

Fragrance (I love the wonderful smell of tea. Keep your marriage as a sweet smelling fragrance.)
You've captured my heart, dear friend. You looked at me, and I fell in love. One look my way and I was hopelessly in love! How beautiful your love, dear, dear friend— far more pleasing than a fine, rare wine, your fragrance more exotic than select spices. Song of Solomon 4:10 & 11 [The Message]

Proper (I think of a tea party as a proper experience--well mannered. Show proper respect for your spouse.)
Show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the king.
1 Peter 2:17

Warmth
If two lie together, then they have heat.
Ecclesiastes 4: 11

The daintiness and yet elegance of a china teacup focuses one to be gentle, to think warmly and to feel close. ‑ Carol and Malcolm Cohen

Encouragement
But encourage one another daily. Hebrews 3:13

Solitude (Sometimes it is good to have a cup of tea in solitude.Though married we need an individual relationship with God.)
Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10

The first thing I do each morning is put on the kettle for a cup of tea. A cup of hot, fragrant tea starts the day off right. Just as my body craves tea, so my soul needs God. He is to my spirit what tea is to my body. He is a cup of tea I can't do without. ‑ Michele T. Huey

Strong (A tea lover does not like weak tea. Let the difficuties strengthen your marriage.)
Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9
A woman is like a teabag. It’s only when she’s in hot water that you realize how strong she is.‑ Nancy Reagan.

Strainers (I held up a tea strainer and talked about keeping negative things out of marriage.)
Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life. Provers 4:23

Lovely
Finally, [sisters], whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Philippians 4:8

Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 1 Peter 4:8

A Teatime Blessing
Lord, grant that our time together
Be steeped in serenity
Sweetened by sharing and
Surrounded by the warm fragrance your love.

No comments: