Saturday, November 3, 2007

Choosing a Turkey Trot

24th Annual Dan Gibbons Turkey Trot
http://www.elmhurst.org/whatshot/default.asp#TurkeyTrot
Cost $25
No chips.
Thursday, November 22nd, 2007 at 9:00 a.m.
The Annual Dan Gibbons Turkey Trot exists to support the food pantries of the Chicago Anti-Hunger Federation, the homeless shelters of Dupage PADS (Public Action to Deliver Shelter), and needy families and seniors identified by the United Community Concerns Association.

Naperville Turkey Trot
http://www.napervilleturkeytrot.com/
The race will be chip timed.
Cost $30
November 22, 2007 at 8:00 a.m.
Benefits the Naperville Noon Lions Club.
The Lions Club is an international non-profit organization that has been in existence since 1917. It remains a service club whose primary focus is to help the vision and hearing impaired. Helen Keller challenged the Lions Club to become "Knights of the Blind" in a crusade against darkness. Supporting that charter, the Naperville Noon Lions Club provides funding for glaucoma testing and visual correction. In addition, the Naperville Noon Lions Club provides hearing and sight services to students and adults who cannot afford them. The Lions also help people with diabetes and issues affecting children.

I am going to do (notice how I avoid the word run or jog) a Turkey Trot because I think it is a good thing to do. I exercise better when I have a goal. I like the camaraderie. It is always fun to get a new shirt.

Here are the pros that I came up with for Elmhurst:

  • I like it that the proceeds go to feed the hungry. (It seems so appropriate for a Thanksgiving Day Run—that reason alone holds a lot of weight with me and makes me want to do Elmhurst.)
  • I like how some people dress up in costumes. They make me laugh.
  • I have done it before so I know that I can do it.
  • The terrain is very level—not too hard for me.

Here are the pros for Naperville (and they are big ones):

  • It starts at 8:00 a.m. instead of 9:00 a.m. (I am having guests for Thanksgiving dinner.)
  • You get a chip, so that you know your real time.
  • It is closer.

You decide, Lois. Let me know.

No comments: