Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Worth Passing On. . .

For years—even when my sons were small—on Christmas Eve or on Christmas, we would do a search to find all of the candles in the house that I had used to decorate for Christmas. The children would gather all of them and bring them to the coffee table in our family room. After we turned the lights off and lit all of the Christmas candles, we would sing Happy Birthday to Jesus.

I am well aware that Christmas traditions are not for forever. Last year, some of our grandsons, who were then ages 5, 9, 10, 11, & 12, complained and one even said, “This is stupid.” I knew then that this little tradition of mine had come to an end. I was wondering what we could do to replace that experience.

Just before Christmas, I went for breakfast with a few friends and one friend told of their custom. She has little individual Christmas candle holders that hold just one birthday candle. When she sets the table for their Christmas dinner, she places one little holder by each plate. At the end of the meal and before dessert, they light their candles around the table. They sing Happy Birthday to Jesus before dessert. That was just the idea that I was looking for.

Of course at that late date, I could not find the darling little candle holders but we did find candles and paper guards that would work. After our Christmas dinner, we passed out the candles. Even Seamus, our three year old, could have his own this year. We turned off the lights and lit our candles. As the lights went around the table, someone started singing Silent Night and then we sang Happy Birthday to Jesus. It just took a few moments but it was long enough for me to praise God for His precious gift. We are so blessed.

Call me old or overly sentimental but I was reminded of this camp song from when I was young. . .

It only takes a spark to get a fire going,
And soon all those around can warm up in its glowing;
That's how it is with God's Love,
Once you've experienced it,
Your spread the love to everyone
You want to pass it on.

I wish for you my friend
This happiness that I've found;
You can depend on God
It matters not where you're bound,
I'll shout it from the mountain top
I want the world to know
The Lord of love has come to me
I want to pass it on.

No comments: