Thursday, October 28, 2010

Playing "House"

In the Fall, when I was a little girl, I liked to rake the leaves in the outline shape of a house with several rooms and then add piles of leaves here and there for a bed, a sofa, etc. It was fun to look for weeds to decorate my house. I feel a bit like I am revisiting my childhood.

When we listed our house for sale, Bob hired a yard service to clean up some of our flower beds. I arrived home just as all of our hydrangea had been cut and was loaded in a truck to leave. I ran out and talked with the workers and they graciously assisted me in salvaging some of the dried flowers.

Since then I have been enjoying a few on my dining room table.


Yesterday, D’Ann and I got together at her home and we had such fun making a few simple brown bag centerpieces to use at a family party on Saturday.



We needed a little larger arrangement for the cake table.

Out near one of our beeyards, I gathered a few weeds as well and used a few around the house.

Last night I hosted a potluck dinner and wanted to put some mums with still a little life in an orange bowl. I did not have anything orange but at 5:00 p.m. I ran to the grocery story for one last item for dinner and saw some $3.00 pumpkins and thought one would work for my orange bowl.

All I need now is a few kitties to dress up and carry around. No, just kidding. I have outgrown some things.



PS or should I say PP for Post Posting
I just read another Brenda's post that she titled The Child in Me. She articulated better my thoughts. I felt the stirring of my happy girlhood memories. The joy of remembering those simple, innocent childhood pursuits.

6 comments:

Wanda..... said...

Brenda you are having way too much fun...I can't keep up with your posts lately. Loved the dried flowers and weeds!

Brenda said...

I apologize for all my recent postings. I did just want to do something with photos still in my camera. I am nearly finished posting so often. For awhile I was taking a Spanish class and I did not want to take any time on the computer because I really needed to concentrate. Recently when we listed our house for sale, I dropped my second Spanish class. Now I am catching up but soon I will be done. It is always wonderful to hear from you but I don't expect a comment on every post. I'm on my way over to visit you. It is always a joy!

Bernie said...

It iw amazing what you have done with these flowers Brenda, love the way they look as centerpieces.....:-) Hugs

Rebecca said...

Clever, clever. I've always loved hydrangeas - never had any of my own. The paper bags make a great container (as does the pumpkin).

(Hi, Dee!)

Diana said...

You made some really beautiful centerpieces with what you salvaged Brenda! You have a knack, I especially liked the pumpkin!
Love Di ♥

Dee said...

I enjoyed your cruise pictures and and really like your creativity with the dried flowers. My favorite is the pumpkin arrangement.:)