Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A Seller's Saga

Unfortunately, my blog only works on Firefox--not on Internet Explorer and I cannot figure it out . . . Maybe later, I will understand.

For some time now, I have felt like I was in two drifting boats--a foot in each boat.

A very long time ago, I wrote about building a new house. I was/am embarrassed with our decision to build a house before we sold our current home. For that reason, I have been unable to approach the subject on my blog.

However, God is merciful and gives us grace though we do not deserve it. We are thankful. We have lots of reasons to rejoice.

  • Our new house is built.


  • We are mostly moved into our new house.
  • Our new home has been properly initiated with visiting grandchildren.


  • We have a buyer for our old house.
  • It seems as if things are moving towards an August 31 closing date.

There have been many ups and downs along the way. Life has so much drama. There is a story to everything--every person--every event. Maybe that is why some of us blog.

First there is the price of the home. Oh my, we thought it was certainly worth more but succumbed to our realtor's suggested price and then after it did not sell, we came down in price and down, and down and down.

Looking back, it doesn't seem so significant but showing after showing would raise our hopes and dash our hopes. In college, on my dorm floor, we used to express similar feelings by belting out: "Why do you build me up, buttercup baby just to let me down . . . and then worst of all . . . you never call baby when you say you will!

"They love the house . . . but have a house to sell."
"They love the house . . . but it is too big."
"They like the house but it did not 'Wow' them.
"They are going to write an offer!" Only to find out days later that they wrote a contract on another home.
"Many are moving to your area because of Navistar." Except no one from Navistar ever looked at our home.
"They love your hot tub."
"The hot tub was a real problem for the husband."
"Your house is great but the yard is too small."
"They are coming for a second showing."
"They are coming for a third showing and they want to move as soon as possible."

And then eons later after I had almost given up hope, there was an offer . . . and our realtor said, "I never get an offer better than 93% of list price so this is a great offer.

We reluctantly agreed because wife (that would be me) was desperate and signed a contract.

But then the bank appraisal came in $15,000 less than the offer so we would have to lower our price by $15,000 so our buyers could get a mortgage.

But then, there were more loopholes, some contingencies and we balked again.

Then a miracle happened! On the same weekend, we received two offers--a seller's delight--a bidding war!

But both offered lower prices for our home than we hoped. We took the better offer.

But then the buyer of our buyer's home could not get a mortgage and so our buyers would not be able to buy our home.

There were inspection issues. Like most people, we loved our home, and took care of problems and repairs as we became aware of them. We thought, "What could an inspector possibly find wrong with our house?" What were we thinking!

And so we are agreeing to credits and repairs on items that we lived with for fifteen years totally unaware of these terrible conditions.

BUT today we got good news. The buyer of our buyer has been approved for a mortgage. We have reached an agreement on inspection issues. It seems as if everything is progressing well.

We are rejoicing--guardedly. It is never done until the check clears the bank.

Meanwhile, I am posed and ready to jump in one boat with BOTH feet.

Oh, quit worrying husband of mine! I am speaking figuratively.


4 comments:

Diana said...

WEll the new house is beautiful Brenda. And I hope and pray that the deal goes through with the present home. And I'm sure it is a beauty!
Love Di ♥

Wanda..... said...

After awhile the stress of selling the house will be a distant amusing memory. Glad all worked out and you are settling in your new lovely home, Brenda.

Rebecca said...

What a saga (I KNOW there is no way you can communicate the emotional stress this has created.) Praying that this "boat" makes it safely to destination and that you are permanently and safely situated in only one boat.

I can't imagine the issues we'll encounter if/when we need to move.

Donna's Book Nook said...

Wow! I hope it all goes through for you! I love your new house--I think this is the first I've seen a picture of it.