Thursday, October 30, 2008

Lessons in Praise

Part of our Bible study yesterday included this story from Acts 16:22-25.

The crowd joined in the attack against Paul and Silas, and the magistrates ordered them to be stripped and beaten. After they had been severely flogged, they were thrown into prison, and the jailer was commanded to guard them carefully. Upon receiving such orders, he put them in the inner cell and fastened their feet in the stocks. About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them.

Here are some pertinent quotes that Ann Garnett shared in her lecture that particularly spoke to me.

When praise is the last thing that comes naturally to us, and we choose to worship Him anyway, we’ve had the privilege of genuine sacrifice of praise.
Beth Moore, To Live is Christ

It‘s all right if your praise comes out of
a life that has struggles,
a life that still falls short of the glory of God,
a life that has defeats and requires confession
and a life that slides into emotional low periods.
This is part of being human in a fallen world,
waiting for the magnificent future
God has planned for us.
31 Days of Praise

Since the death of his daughter, Maria, Steven Curtis Chapman added this 4th verse to his song, Yours. I will also include the chorus and ending stanza.

I’ve walked the valley of death’s shadow

So deep and dark that I could barely breathe
I’ve had to let go of more than I could bear
And questioned everything that I believe
But still even here in this great darkness
A comfort and hope come breaking through
As I can say in life or death
God we belong to you.

The glory is Yours, God

All the honor is Yours, God
The power is Yours, God
The glory is Yours, God

You're the King of Kings
And Lord of Lords

And its all Yours, God, Yours, God
Everything is Yours
From the stars in the sky
To the depths of the ocean floor
And its all Yours, God, Yours, God
Everything is Yours

All the greatness and power, the glory and splendor and majesty
Everything is Yours
Yeah, it's all Yours
We are Yours
The glory and honor is Yours, everything is Yours

It's all Yours, God
My life is Yours, my heart is Yours
My hands and my feet are Yours
Every song that I sing
It's all Yours, all is Yours
All belongs to You
Our gifts are Yours, God
All our dreams are Yours, God
All our plans are Yours, God
The whole earth is Yours, God
Everything is Yours

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I received a phone call late yesterday afternoon regarding Tim, and I am broken-hearted once again with his situation. I re-read your blog and I am going to choose to praise Him, in spite of these circumstances. Thanks for these lessons in praise. Donna