Sunday, October 14, 2007

Hale's Grandma Day 2007




In celebration of each grandchild’s birthday—but not on his/her birthday, I like to have the grandchild spend a Grandma Day with me. I usually try to pick up the child before dinner, have them spend the night and then take them home right after dinner the following evening.

Yesterday evening and today, Hale and I had a Grandma Day in honor of his 7th birthday. Our Friday activities included: playing at Kelly Park, dinner at Chili’s, shopping for a Webkinz, a rental movie and popcorn. Today, our main event was at Cantigny Park. We had a great time climbing on the tanks, playing with marshmallow blasters, seeing the museum and floating objects on the little stream. We also ate lunch at the All Aboard Diner and finished the evening celebrating David’s 10th birthday with more family.

Here is what I learned about Hale today:
* He is learning to read.
* It is worthwhile to introduce him to new activities even when he is sure he will not like them. (He was adamant that he did not want to go to Cantigny because he could not remember ever being there and knew it would not be fun. We both had a great time!)
* He will still hold my hand in the parking lots and when crossing streets.
* He told me that he is the best peacemaker in his class and he gets kids and even his teacher to stop arguing because he can argue the best. (Hmm? How does that work?)
* He can go a long time without needing a bathroom.

Tonight at dinner, Kathi had some trivia questions from the show, Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader? One question, "What was the first name of President Hays (1877-1881)?" I knew the answer was "Rutherford". Kent, who did not know the answer, responded, “Well, Grandma probably knew him.” I tell you—you can’t win by knowing the answer or by not knowing!

I just looked up a quote that I remembered hearing:
My grandkids believe I'm the oldest thing in the world. And after two or three hours with them, I believe it, too. ~Gene Perret

No comments: