Monday, October 10, 2011

Seize the Day!


I took this picture of a few of the grandkids on Labor Day weekend. All of the grandkids are delightful!


It is fun to talk with them, be with them, hear them talk, and watch them mature! They are growing up so fast!

David will be celebrating his 14th birthday on Thursday. This boy is going places. He is in band, jazz band, on tech crew and the football team.


He seldom has a few free hours and almost never a whole free day. Today he was available!

Someday, I will no longer be able to maintain balance on a bike and have the strength to pedal for six miles but today I feel great! I wanted to do something active and outside and was glad that David was willing to accompany me on a bike tour.





I tried to breathe in all of the beauty of the day and capture a few photos.





I love it that David is adventuresome in eating! After our bike ride, we stopped at Max’s on Adam’s Street for lunch. David ate an authentic Chicago hot dog—with all of the toppings-- yellow mustard, onions, relish, a dill pickle, tomatoes, hot peppers, and celery salt on a poppy seed bun. . .


And then he had a second! It made me glad! I don’t know why? It just did.

I love it that David can walk fast and thinks a mile or so is no big deal. It was great to skip the taxi rides!


For about 4-5 years, David has requested to go to the Willis Tower Skydeck when it was still called the Sears Tower.


I have to pause first and I still stumble over the new name every time. It just doesn’t sound right.

For David, Grandma Days have seemed to fall on days when the weather was inclement.


A couple of years ago we went to check out the Skydeck twice but there was “no visibility.”


Today was gorgeous!

We enjoyed our few moments on the Ledge and got the appropriate photos.



And even though David is not genetically related to me, I was glad to discover something else that we have in common.


We made a Garrett’s stop before boarding the train back to Winfield.


Unfortunately, I remember very little from my freshman year of Latin. The older I get though, the more I recognize the wisdom in this phrase—Carpe diem!

5 comments:

Wanda..... said...

You must have a large collection of photos from that Sear's Tower Skydeck, Brenda! I think I would forget to breathe if I were standing there! Your grandchildren are growing fast and tall!

Brenda said...

Yes, Wanda,
For years, I did not want to take the grandkids up to the Sears Tower--it is touristy and expensive and you can get great views in lots of other buildings. When I finally caved for one, I realized that each of the others would need his/her chance as well. I hope to pass on a love for Chicago and a sense that this is our place. I love the outdoors activities much more than the museums (I am catagorizing the Sears Tower as a museum of sorts.) but the museums are an essential aspect of the city.

Rebecca said...

The pictures at the skydeck are great ones! I look forward to the day my Chicago grandkids are old enough to take the ride you took (Guess I'd better start working out NOW!)

Thanks for sending the book. Looks like Mrs. Mobunny might be sending one too. I think I'll take both and pass one on. Bob can thank me later for taking it off your hands :)

Diana said...

Well you always make me miss Chicago Brenda!! And seeing all of the kids around, they do have a way of bringing fun and happiness.
Unfortunately I was not able to go to the sky deck while living in Chicago but maybe someday!!
Love Di ♥

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

What great photos..... wow!

Oh my... I love Chicago dogs...so I'm glad with you that David chose to have a second one!